Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baruch Dayan Emet...To My Beloved Car (ob"m)

I got an email yesterday from the woman who bought my old car. It said:
Just thought you would like to know the car died. The transmission went and was to expensive to fix.
(Name withheld by me)
How am I supposed to react?

Sure, I feel bad about the car dying. But I feel neither any monetary, nor ethical obligation regarding the death of my car. When you buy a used car, the value of the car takes into account the possible problems that you might encounter. No warranties, either expressed or implied were offered. So, while I'm pretty sure I know what she wanted, I'm not going there.
How would you respond?

2 comments:

  1. I'd respond, "Ugh. I'm really sorry. We had no inkling of any problems when we had it. Good luck helping the economy with your next purchase!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's her responsibility to take care of the car. She bought a used car and she should know the pros and cons of it. If both of you signed a contract (including warranty), then you just have to deal with it. If you don't want to, then you have to talk about it. After all, a woman should be treated well.

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete

Comments transform a blog into a community. Please join.