Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Because I Said So: An Old Drashah That's Still Relevant

After writing my last post, somewhere in the back of my head I knew that I had written about this before. A quick search on my hard drive revealed that I had spoken of the notion of obedience and submission before, as it turned out, specifically regarding the controversial and difficult subject of homosexuality.
In 2004, homosexuality and Judaism took center stage in Michigan, including a controversial agenda that made the ballot which attempted (ultimately successfully) to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman. At the same time, the Detroit Jewish News broke its longstanding policy and announced that it would announce homosexual unions. I gave this as a drashah at the Young Israel of Oak Park in response. I find it interesting that the piece seems to combine both the parenting issues that we struggle with, and the challenge to Orthodoxy specifically in the area of homosexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments transform a blog into a community. Please join.