Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year - No School Today! Yay.

I had my day all planned. First a run. Then sit down and do some work - maybe get some writing done; perhaps some other work. Then, at the end of davening I discover the dreaded news: no school today for any children. None tomorrow either. What caused this sudden cancellation?
  • Did the moatzah (regional council) suddenly discover New Years Day? (For some reason, in Israel they call New Years "Sylvester". I have no idea why, but any time I hear it on the radio it makes me laugh. Sylvester. Isn't that the name of the cat who's always trying to eat Tweety Bird? But I digress.)
  • Did a foot of snow suddenly fall last night? Again no.
Rather, the Minister of Defense of Israel expanded the boundaries of the Military Zone around Gaza to 45 kilometers, and we're now officially in range. So there's no school.

We got a letter over email from the Rosh Mo'atzah - who's a great guy explaining the decision, making it clear that he had nothing to do with it. My favorite part of the letter is where he explains that in his mind, "In the merit of the Torah learned [by the children] of the Moatzah Nachal Sorek (where we live), no citizens of Israel will be stricken.

May it be God's will that his words come to pass. Meanwhile, let us all pray for the safety and well-being of our soldiers, who will take up the battle to protect the citizens of Israel.

I guess now that really means us.

Because I want my kids back in school soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments transform a blog into a community. Please join.